Vitta High Temperature Brazing Transfer Tapes provide a precise method for applying controlled amounts of brazing filler metals or coating brazing alloy, and selected organic binders attached to a plastic carrier. Vitta brazing alloy transfer tapes are available with or without a pressure sensitive adhesive coating. Vitta brazing tapes offer the manufacturing and design engineer a new dimension of freedom in brazing. They provide considerable savings in application, and allow reliable joints in areas difficult to reach. The tapes offer an exceptionally reliable method for honeycomb brazing. Vitta brazing tapes contain less than 9 % binder and are designed for contolled atmosphere furnace brazing. During the firing, all organic materials completely decompose and a measured uniform protected. Use of brazing tapes allows an operator to pre-place a measured amount of brazing alloy into the braze joint and to do it consistently. Use of high quality materials produces clean and consistent braze joints.
Brazing tapes permit precise control of brazing alloy quantity and can be used in areas where overflow of excess material is objectionable. Brazing tape thickness and density are closely contolled, and the use of tape will result in complete braze joints with minimum or no ficturing.
Tapes are produced to applicable specifications from all brazing alloys available in powder form. Vitta Corporation supplies brazing tape thicknesses from 0,002” (0,05mm) to 0,063” (1,6mm), and wides from 0,2” (5,1mm) to 23,6” (600mm). Precut brazing preforms are also available in various geometries per customer’s request.
Transfer tapes offer advantages in every application where precision brazing is required with closely held thicknesses and density values. A few typical applications are listed below:
- Feltmetal seals are usually brazed to stainless steel backing plates with help of a gold-nickel foil. By using nickel-base brazing transfer tapes, the cost can be substantially reduced and at the same time, wicking of the braze alloy can be eliminated.
- Honeycomb structures are brazed to stainless steel or other special alloys with nickel -base brazing alloys. Formerly the brazing materials were “salted” into the honeycomb; however, due to the depth and size of the cell structures, it was very difficult to produce a satisfactory part. By using transfer tapes, seals can be prepared with excellent consistency.
- Corrugated sheets are bazed to backing sheets by nickelbase brazing alloys. The significant advantages of transfer tape in this application is the carfully controlled amount of brazing material in the assembly which prevents squeezing out of the base alloy.
- Castings can be made pressure tight by sealing their surface with Brazing tape.
- Repairs can be accomplished on engine nozzles and holes can be plugged in thin sheetmetal parts through the use of brazing tape for high temperature applications.
- Worn Parts and thin sections can be built up in selected areas without worrying about edge effect and the thickness of built up areas can be closely contolled by using brazing tapes.